#185 - Dr. Kyle Coble: Optimizing sow retention - how to do it rightFeb 20, 2023
As swine producers, nutritionists, and veterinarians, we all know that sow mortality is a complex challenge, since many factors influence it. Indeed, high mortality rates and poor sow performance greatly impact farm profitability, including feed costs. So how can we improve sow retention and longevity in our production systems? Are there nutritional strategies that can be employed to optimize sow retention? To answer these – and many more – questions, I talk with Dr. Kyle Coble, one of the brightest swine nutritionists in our industry. In this episode, Dr. Coble shares his vast experience with nutritional strategies and research on improving sow mortality, critical aspects of gilt development, and current challenges on sow farms.
What you’ll learn:
1. Research on improving sow retention
2. The role of nutrition in sow longevity
3. What is the relationship between parity and sow mortality?
4. Prolapses and sow retention
Meet the guest:
Dr. Kyle Coble
- Current: Director of Nutrition Services at JBS Live Pork
- Past: International Nutrition Consultant, Senior Manager of Production Strategies and Nutritionist for New Fashion Pork.
- Ph.D., Swine Nutrition (Kansas State University)
- M.Sc., Animal Science (Oklahoma State University)
- B.S., Animal Science (Oklahoma State University)
Hobbies: Traveling across the globe and raising purebred Charolais Cattle.
Favorite book, movie or TV series: Accidental Super Power, by Peter Zeihan
Favorite quote: "Success is not a straight line" - Unknown
A tip for success: If you can't outsmart them, outwork them
Connect with our guest on Social Media: LinkedIn