#182 - Dr. Montserrat Torremorell: The secret behind controlling Influenza on pig farmsJan 30, 2023
Influenza viruses are a huge concern for swine producers around the globe: firstly, because they cause high levels of illness in the herds; secondly, because they are very contagious and evolve very quickly. Although swine (and human) influenza viruses can circulate throughout the entire year, most outbreaks do occur during late fall and winter – so there is no better time to talk about them! In this week's episode, I talk with Dr. Montserrat Torremorell about the main strategies for solving influenza issues in our pig production systems. With vast experience on that topic, Dr. Montserrat explains what the differences are between influenza viruses, why sow farms are more susceptible to occurrences, and what we need to do to successfully control influenza on a practical level.
What you’ll learn:
1. Types of influenza viruses
2. Influenza: pigs vs. humans
3. Managing influenza in the sow farm
4. Controlling influenza successfully
Meet the guest:
Dr. Montserrat Torremorell
- Current: Professor in the Department of Veterinary Population Medicine at the University of Minnesota.
- Past: Health Director at PIC/Genus
- Ph.D. (University of Minnesota)
- D.V.M., Veterinary Medicine (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
Connect with our guest on Social Media: LinkedIn