#39 - Updates on the current state of PCV2 in the US.Jan 31, 2023
Porcine Circovirus Type 2 (PCV2) is a major cause of disease in pigs, particularly grower-finisher pigs in the US. Currently, the situation of PCV2 in the country is of continued monitoring and management, because despite efforts to control the spread of the virus, it continues to pose a significant challenge to the American pork industry. It is with that in mind that I talk with Dr. Pablo Piñeyro, in this episode, about how diagnostic techniques have changed since vaccines were developed and how to properly diagnose PCV 2 based on epidemiology. Additionally, we discuss how to distinguish between infection and disease when it comes to PCV 2 detection, along with clinical data and lesions.
Meet the guest
Dr. Pablo Piñeyro
○ Current: Associate Professor and Diagnostic Pathologist at Iowa State University.
○ Past: Assistant Professor and Diagnostic Pathologist at Iowa State University; Clinician/Diagnostic Pathologist at Iowa State University.
○ Ph.D., Biomedical and Veterinary (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University)
○ M.Sc., Veterinary Science (Washington State University)
○ D.V.M. (Universidad Nacional de La Plata)
○ B.Sc., Veterinary Medicine (Universidad Nacional de La Plata)
Connect with our guest on Social Media: LinkedIn